Austin Community College recognizes that faculty, staff, and students may use names other than their legal name to identify themselves. ACC has a process that allows students to request use of a chosen first name where possible within the college’s records and systems. Legal names are used when necessary for college business or legal purposes.
- A person may choose to be known by a shortened first name or nickname. Alternatively, a person may choose to be known by an entirely different name.
- The use of a chosen first name cannot be for misrepresentation, fraud, or illegal purposes.
- The college reserves the right to deny requests for chosen names that are offensive, derogatory, or involve repeated requests.
- This process may be modified or changed at the discretion of the college.
- Once your chosen first name has been submitted, the college will review the name to ensure that it does not violate any of these standards. If your chosen name is not approved, you will be contacted within 24 hours to make another selection or decision about your name.
- The college designates a student name as directory information under the Family Rights Educational & Privacy Act (FERPA). As such, both legal and chosen first names may be disclosed without prior consent unless you have elected to withhold directory information according to the directions included in the college’s annual FERPA notice. For questions regarding this please email Admissions & Enrollment or visit the FERPA website.
How to Request a Chosen Name
- Go to the MyACC Student Portal.
- Click on My Profile in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click Change next to Chosen First Name.
Frequently Asked Questions
Specifying a Chosen Name
Yes. Only alpha characters may be submitted; no special characters or numbers are allowed. There is a character limit of 15 characters. No slurs, derogatory words, or commercial names are allowed. In addition, no professional titles are allowed in the chosen name field.
Yes. This option is available for all students.
No, you do not have to specify a chosen name. This is an option for people who wish to use a name other than their legal name to identify themselves. If you use your legal name, you are not required to specify a chosen name.
Students can view and request a chosen name by going to the My Profile tab in MyACC.
If you are a student who has submitted a chosen name and later decide that you would rather use your legal name or a different chosen name everywhere on campus, you may edit or delete your chosen name.
Students can delete a chosen name by logging into MyACC and clicking on My Profile.
While ACC strives to make sure that its systems and applications use this chosen name as self-identified by the student, please understand that at this time the college does not have a process in place to update pronouns. This is important to us and will be taken into consideration as we continually work to improve this process.
Chosen Name Use
If you are a current student, visit the Update Student Information page.
Your ACCmail address will not be automatically updated. If you wish to have your chosen first name to replace your legal first name, you will make that request in MyACC. This change is irreversible, and the decision should be made with care.
The college will strive to use your chosen name where possible. Your legal name will continue to be used for business, legal, and other purposes that require the use of a legal name. Examples of where your legal name is necessary include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Official transcript
- Scholarship & financial aid documents
- Enrollment verifications
- Billing records
- Medical records
- Benefits forms and records
- Federal Immigration documents
- Non-resident visas and supporting documentation
- Tax forms (i.e. W2, 1095C, 1099s)
- Student loan documents
For now, your chosen name will appear in the following places:
- ACCmail address, only upon request. ACCmail name changes are irreversible.
- Official class rosters
No, your chosen name will display in Blackboard about 24 hours after submission, once approved.
Chosen name is for use within the college community. International students may feel free to select a chosen name for on-campus use. However, this does not apply in situations where one’s legal name is required. For the purpose of F-1 or J-1 student visa status, the legal name is required on I-20s and DS-2019s. An individual’s legal name is what appears in the passport. Please contact the International Student Office for additional assistance.