The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment is a state-required assessment test to determine college-readiness in reading, writing, and math. All entering students must take the TSI test before enrolling in classes unless you are exempt or “TSI-complete.”
To confirm you need to take the TSI Assessment, please scroll down this page to view TSI Exemptions.
- If you are an incoming college student in Texas, the State of Texas requires all students to complete a Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) before taking the TSI Assessment. Note: If you are retesting for the TSI Assessment, are not required to redo the PAA.
- After you have reviewed all sections, you will receive an emailed Certificate of Completion. Save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of completion. Click here to begin the PAA.
To purchase the TSI Assessment go to ACC’s Marketplace. Save this email for your records as we may require you to show proof of payment.
TSI / ESOL: You may also qualify for a TSI/ESOL fee waiver. Email the Financial Aid Office at [email protected] to find out whether you may be eligible for a waiver before paying the TSI/ESOL fee. A financial aid staff member will review the request and email you back. If approved, you will forward this email with all required documents to initiate the testing process.
The Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Office can help with accommodations for the TSI Assessment.
Note: The TSI 2.0 is not timed. There also is a “save and finish” option that allows you to pause for breaks or pause the testing session altogether to complete on another day. If you choose this option, you must log back in and complete the Math and ELR sections within 14 days of pausing. You must complete the essay portion of the assessment in one sitting; pausing to complete on another day is not allowed. There is also a virtual calculator built into the TSI 2.0 platform that has audio reader capabilities and is available once you complete the initial “basic math facts” portion of the Math section.
If, after reviewing this information, you need additional accommodations please contact the intake coordinator at [email protected].
Please contact the Business Assessment Office ([email protected]) if you need to take the TSI for another college or university with accommodations.
TSIA2 Learning Resources
a. Bring a current government issued photo ID, or school issued photo ID, or an ACC photo ID in order to test. The photo ID MUST be a physical ID. If you do not have any type of picture ID, please contact [email protected].
b. Bring proof of completion for the Pre-Assessment Activity if this is your first time taking the TSI assessment.
c. Bring proof of payment or fee waiver if applicable.
d. Assessment schedule
Virtual Remote TSI Testing
Please email [email protected] to request virtual remote testing.
General TSI Information
Verify TSI Status
Check the list of TSI exemptions and score completions to determine whether you have already met TSI requirements in one or more areas (reading, writing, and math) or meet the criteria for an exemption. You must show proof of exemption. You may take your proof of exemption or waiver, if applicable, to any campus Advising Office.
You do not have to take the TSI Assessment if you:
- Graduated college with an associate or bachelor’s degree; or
- Have earned a C or higher in a college-level course at an accredited institution. The course must be equivalent to an ACC course on the approved ACC TSI course list.
- Previously attended any accredited Texas public institution of higher education and was determined by that institution to have met TSI college readiness standards in that specified TSI component area.
- Are enrolling in a Level 1 waived certificate program and are taking courses only in the certificate award plan
- Are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the U.S., the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the U.S. and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. You are waived from the TSI Assessment.
- Are enrolling in ESOL courses only. ESOL only students are waived from the TSI exam. The waiver is removed after 15 credit hours are earned. ESOL only students should take the ESOL Assessment instead of the TSI Assessment
- On or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the U.S. or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the U.S.
- Have completed the SAT, ACT, GED, HiSET or other approved assessment exam with the minimum score needed for TSI exemption.
The following tests can be used to exempt you from one or more parts of the TSI Assessment. Tests must have been taken within the previous five years.
Minimum Scores Eligible for TSI Assessment Exemption
|Test||Reading & Writing Exemption||Math Exemption|
|SAT (March 2016 and later)||480 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing||530 Math|
|ACT taken prior to 2/15/23||23 Composite with 19 English||23 Composite with 19 Math|
|ACT taken on/after 2/15/23||Combined score of 40 on English and Reading||22 Math|
|TAKS||2200 ELA (English Language Arts) with 3+ Writing sub-score||2200 Math|
|STAAR||4000 on the English III (EOC)||4000 on the Algebra II (E0C)|
|GED||165 on the Reasoning Through Language Arts (RLA) for the English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) Exemption.||165 on the Mathematical Reasoning|
|HiSET||15 on the Reading subtest, a minimum score of 15 on the Writing Subtest with a minimum score of 4 on the essay, for English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) Exemption||15 on the Mathematics subtest Math Exemption|
- Scores from ACT tests taken before and after 2/15/23 can be combined.
- Mixing or combining scores from the SAT administered prior to March 2016 and the SAT administered March 2016 and later, is not allowed.
- HiSET will no longer administer tests after 8/31/2021 in Texas. Therefore, any tests taken after the 8/31/2021 test date will not be useable for the TSI exemption.
- The STAAR Algebra II and English III postsecondary readiness assessments are optional assessments for districts. Please verify with your local school district whether or not the assessment is offered.
You have completed Texas Success Initiative requirements for a subject area if you earn the minimum score listed in the charts below.
State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI-Complete, effective January 11, 2021
|Assessment||English, Language Arts & Reading (ELAR)||Math|
|TSI Assessment||945 and an essay score of 5 or higher
Less than 945 and a Diagnostic Level of 5 or more and an essay score of 5 or higher
Less than 950 and Diagnostic Level of 6
State-Approved Minimum Scores to be TSI-Complete for assessment taken prior to January 11, 2021, (Good for 5 years from date of exam, if presented for placement and enrollment at any college or university within 5 years of the test date.)
|TSI Assessment||351||*5 or 4/340||350|
*A placement score less than 340 and an ABE Diagnostic level of at least 4, and essay score of at least 5.
Requesting TSI Scores to Enroll at ACC
If you have taken the TSI Assessment within the last 5 years at a testing site outside of Austin Community College, but within the State of Texas, please complete the Retrieve TSI Scores form.
Sending TSI Scores from ACC to Another College/University
If your college or university needs your scores from a TSI taken at ACC, please submit the send TSI Scores form.
TSI Assessment Preparation
Complete the TSI Assessment Preparation if you need to take all or part of the assessment.Back to Top