Residency Status Questions & Answers

General Information

What is in-district residency?

In-district residency refers to students who are classified as Texas residents AND who reside in a community that belongs to the ACC District. See Texas residency information.

Submitting the Residency Form

How do I prove in-district residency?

Once you establish your Texas residency, your tuition rate is determined by whether you reside inside or outside the ACC District. See Texas residency documentation.

How do I prove in-state residency?

You’re a Texas resident if you have resided in Texas for 12 consecutive months. See Texas residency documentation.

How often do I need to submit residency information?

You will update your residency information and mailing address whenever you return to ACC after being gone for one year. You also should resubmit the information any time you believe your status has changed.

Can I check the in-district tuition status of an address?

Yes. Contact your county tax appraiser’s office or any campus Admissions and Enrollment Office to verify whether an address is located in the ACC District.

Can I fill out the residency form online?

Most official student forms require a signature, so they must be printed and signed before processing. If you cannot submit the form in person, you can mail it to the Admissions and Enrollment Office along with a copy of your official photo ID.

Will my residency status transfer from another Texas college?

If you were classified a Texas resident while attending a Texas college or university for any part of the academic year before enrolling ACC, you still will be classified as a Texas resident. The Admissions and Records Office may request that you obtain written verification of your residency classification from your previous institution.

Determining Classification

I am an international student. How can I establish residency?

If you are an international student meeting one of the categories below, you are eligible to obtain Texas residency status if you meet the basic requirements by living in the state for 12 consecutive months and establishing a domicile in Texas before enrollment:

  • Parolee, holder of asylum status or refugee
  • A student who has applied for adjustment of status to permanent residency (must have received an I-485 notice of action for the green card application)
  • Holder of a visa that is eligible to domicile in the United States. 
  • High school graduation in Texas after 36 months of residence in the state (see next FAQ).

I am an undocumented student. Can I qualify for Texas residency?

If you meet all of the following requirements, you qualify for Texas residency regardless of visa status. See residency status for undocumented students.

  • Graduate from a Texas High school or receive a GED.
  • Reside in Texas for the 36 months immediately preceding graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of the GED.
  • Reside in Texas the 12 months preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution of higher education.
  • Sign an affidavit stating that you meet the above qualifications and will apply for permanent residency upon first availability to do so.

I am considered a dependent of my parents. How do I establish residency?

If your parents are Texas residents and meet the legal domicile requirements and the 12-month physical presence requirements, you can submit the Residency by Dependency paperwork along with supporting documentation. Your documents must reflect your parent’s name.

What do I do if my parents are divorced and one lives out of state?

If your parents are divorced and claim you as a dependent in alternate tax years, you must submit a copy of their divorce decree and a legal agreement showing your support is shared by both parents.

If I am temporarily absent from the state, will I lose my residency status?

A temporary absence does not affect your residency status if it is for military, Defense Department, State Department, or Public Health service, or if it is because of a job assignment or for education. When submitting your residency documentation, include a letter stating your Texas residency status and the reason for the temporary absence, along with supporting documentation.

Does marriage to a Texas resident make me a Texas resident?

Marriage to a Texas resident does not grant immediate residency status. You must establish your own residency by living or working here for 12 consecutive months. If you do not earn an income, you must submit a copy of your marriage license and spouse’s proof of residency when you update your residency status. You can attend ACC while establishing residency; however, you will pay out-of-state rates.

If I am a dependent and my parents live in another state, can I establish residency?

No. You cannot establish Texas residency while being claimed as a dependent. Students over 18 can establish residency as an independent student if they are not claimed as a dependent on their parents’ tax return.

Back to Top
  • Join Our Virtual Admissions and Enrollment Office

    You can join us on Zoom anytime Monday - Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to get answers to your questions! No appointments needed.

  • Contact Us

    Hours of Operation

  • Back to Top