Maintain F-1 Student Eligibility

Please read the following rules carefully. Following these regulations will help you maintain your legal F-1 visa status and avoid any future difficulties.

Keep Documents Current

Keep your passport valid at all times. Contact your Embassy in the U.S. to request renewal at least six months before it expire.

Also, review the I-20 on a regular basis and notify the International Student Office immediately about any changes in your major, degree level, or financial support. Also notify International Programs about any name changes, errors, or misspellings on the I-20.

Carry a Full Course Load

Register for at least 12 credits of courses each spring and fall semester.  Of this course load, only 3 credits per semester can be online classes.

Update Your Address

If you move to another address, you must notify International Student Office within 10 days of the move. The change will be effected in SEVIS.

I-20 Change of Major

An F-1 student who has changed their academic major, must submit an I-20 Change of Major form within 10 days of changing their major. See more information about changing your major

I-20 Extension

You must complete your degree by the date listed on your I-20 or apply for an extension at least 30-60 days before your completion date. See I-20 extension information. See I-20 extension information.

F-1 Student Graduation Eligibility

All F-1 students who are graduating in the current semester, must submit an F-1 Student Graduation Eligibility form. See more information about reporting your graduation

New Degree Request

An F-1 student who has graduated from one academic program, and would like to pursue another academic program at ACC, must complete a New Degree Request form. See more information about a new degree request

Transfer SEVIS Record (I-20)

If you have been accepted to another university/institution, you must submit specific documents in order to transfer your SEVIS record (I-20) to your new university/institution. See Transfer SEVIS Record (I-20).


Be sure before you leave the United States that the F-1 visa is valid. If your visa has expired, you will have to apply for a new one overseas before you will be able to re-enter the U.S. Also be sure to have your I-20 endorsed for travel by International Student Office. If you need to leave ACC unexpectedly during or after the semester, before the program end date on your I-20, you must request an Authorized Early Withdrawal. See travel outside the U.S.

F-1 Employment Basics & Eligibility

You are permitted to work on campus part time (no more than 20 hours a week) during the semester and full time during vacation periods. Off-campus employment is prohibited without prior authorization. See employment guidelines.

Current ACC Students F-1 Co-Enrollment Authorization

An F-1 visa international student at ACC must review and complete certain requirements to obtain approval to concurrently enroll (co-enroll) in classes at another college or university while maintaining a SEVIS record (I-20) with ACC. An F-1 student must not co-enroll at another institution without prior approval from the ACC International Student Office. See Current ACC Students F-1 Co-Enrollment Authorization information.

Regain F-1 Status

An international student who fails to maintain their immigration status may be reinstated to valid F-1 status at the discretion of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), or by completing a re-entry.

Back to Top
  • Meet Virtually with the International Student Office

    You can meet with International Student Office staff without an appointment Monday through Friday. See times and other information.

    Join Zoom

    Meeting ID: 995 8669 0635
    Passcode: 640601

  • Back to Top