International Students Living in the U.S.

The information on these pages will prepare you to live in Austin and attend Austin Community College:

Driver’s License & Texas State ID

A Texas driver’s license is not only a document demonstrating authorization to drive but it is also a nationally accepted form of identification that can be used to prove your identity. The Texas State ID is only used as an identification card.

Any international student can apply for the Texas driver license and the Texas State ID. Both are issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Get a driver’s license or official state ID.


Know the employment rules that apply to you.

Health Insurance

Health care is expensive in the U.S. Insure yourself in case of a medical emergency.

Housing Options

The Austin area offers a variety of private apartments, dormitories, and even homes.

Public Transportation

Bus and rail service covers a lot of Austin, but not all areas. Read about Austin’s CapMetro Public Transit.


All international students must file at least one U.S. tax form for every year they are present in the U.S. Learn more about taxes for international students.

Back to Top
  • Meet Virtually with the International Student Office

    You can meet with International Student Office staff without an appointment Monday through Friday. See times and other information.

    Join Zoom

    Meeting ID: 995 8669 0635
    Passcode: 640601

  • Back to Top