Authorized Early Withdrawal

If you leave the U.S. unexpectedly during or after the semester and before the program end date on your I-20, you must inform the International Student Office. To request an Authorized Early Withdrawal, you must submit the following: 

  • A completed Authorized Early Withdrawal (AEW) Request form
  • A copy of your departure flight itinerary or airline ticket if departing the U.S. by air

Once completed, you can submit the form to the International Student Office in person or you can email the completed form to [email protected]. If your Authorized Early Withdrawal is approved:

  • Your SEVIS record will be “terminated” for an “authorized early withdrawal.”
  • You must leave the U.S. within 15 days of the termination date.
  • You may not remain in the U.S. during your planned absence. If you do not leave the U.S. within the stated times, you will be out of status and in the country without authorization.
  • You may not use your student visa to enter the U.S. unless you will be returning to continue your studies at ACC within five months of your departure date.
    • You MUST return to the U.S. within five months to keep your immigration status and begin classes in the next available session. Before you return:
      • Contact the ISO 60 days before you plan to return to request your SEVIS record be “reactivated.” 
      • If reactivated, you will be able to return to the U.S. up to 30 days prior to semester start date.
      • You must submit a copy of your return flight itinerary or airline ticket if returning by air.
  • If you are absent from the U.S. for more than five months, you must request a new initial I-20 and possibly apply for a new F-1 visa.

Back to Top
  • Meet Virtually with the International Student Office

    You can meet with International Student Office staff without an appointment Monday through Friday. See times and other information.

    Join Zoom

    Meeting ID: 995 8669 0635
    Passcode: 640601

  • Back to Top